Saturday, September 22, 2007

How to Make a Thumb Drive Chain

In the spirit of Nerdcore, but also as a throwback to the days when men carried pocket watches, I decided to step up my wardrobe. With a stylin' chain. But instead of connecting my chain to a wallet or a watch, It is connected to my thumb drive. Oh, yes. I am cool.

So, how do you make a rockin' thumb drive hip chain of your very own, you ask? Well, imaginary reader I just made up in order to carry out this conversation, let me show you.

1. Assemble your tools and materials. You will need the following: needle-nose pliers, chain, a toggle clasp, some connectors (either figure 8 or jump rings or both), and whatever other decorative additions you might like. Oh - and a thumb drive with a jump ring attachment, or some other means of connecting your chain.

2. To attach the chain to the thumb drive, you need to include some sort of connector, which would be the jump ring and figure 8s. I chose a pretty spiral in addition to these things. Use the pliers to put them together.3. Now you need to attach your toggle clasp to the other end. I measure out how long I want my chain to be by actually trying it on and marking the spot. Make sure you have enough chain to wrap around your belt loop, as tightly as possible. A toggle clasp has two parts - a male and a female part, if you will. You will attach the male part to the end of your chain, using a connector or two or three.

4. The female part is trickier. You need to measure how far into the chain your girlie toggle needs to be. I did that, again, by trying it out. You could probably work out something involving measuring, but whatever. I did take a picture of the final product spread out next to a measuring tape.
5. Once your toggle is firmly in place, you can either add some nice charms or beads, or leave it as is. Wear with pride. But don't forget to take the damn thing off before washing your pants. That would be bad.

4 comments:

Corey said...

Brilliant diy project; I'm heading out to the jewelry store right now to do the same. By the way, jump drives are surprisingly resilient. I've washed one of my several times without data loss (not that I recommend this).

Anomie said...

Haha, I do believe I'll take your word for it on that one. Good luck with the project! I always find activities such as this to be a soothing break from academic ventures.

tina said...

Awesome nerdcraft, Anomie! Can you start selling your creations to the rest of us?

Anomie said...

Ah, perhaps I shall open an account on etsy.com. See what happens...