Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ack!! I've Been Tagged! TWICE!!!

So the meme that is currently spreading through the sociology blogs has caught up to me via yli and Jim Gibbon. In contrast to these two, and Dan Myers, I have absolutely no problem with thinking randomly. Much to the chagrin of the 80 students who have to listen to me lecture three times a week (the poor things). Despite being tagged twice, I'm going to make the executive decision of sticking to 8 random facts.

The rules:

  1. Post these rules before you give your facts
  2. List 8 random facts about yourself
  3. At the end of your post, choose (tag) 8 people and list their names, linking to them
  4. Leave a comment on their blog, letting them know they’ve been tagged.
The random facts:
  1. I have a distinct telephone aversion. Have all my life. In college, my now-husband and I used to argue over who was going to call the pizza guy and order a pizza. He had the goal of making it through college without ever ordering a pizza. I had the goal of avoiding the horrible contraption that is the telephone. I lost. I actually rank the strength of my friendship with people according to the level of comfort I have with calling them on the phone. If I am writing a script before dialing, you are merely an acquaintance. Unless I regularly email or IM you, in which case you are a friend, but not a 'phone friend,' i.e., a member of my inner circle.
  2. I used to collect stuffed lemurs. So did my friends in college. We carried them around with us. Once, we took them to Fajoli's, where my lemur was presented with a bib/cape and dubbed "Fritz the Spaghetti Lemur." (He was named after the guy from Wizards. "They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies!")
  3. I believe in fairies, gnomes, brownies, etc. I leave out milk and honey for them on holidays. When I was little, I used to sit at my window on the second floor and watch the fairies play baseball in my yard. And the gnomes would often come and rearrange the items in my closet. With wheelbarrows. I don't think there is such a thing as 'the supernatural.' If it exists, it is natural. Science just can't explain or find it. I believe in fairies because it makes life more fun. Rationality be damned!
  4. I still make a running leap for my bed at night, so that the monster underneath it doesn't get a chance to grab me. For the same reason, I have to close the closet door, and no limbs may at any point hang over the side of the bed.
  5. I have a bachelor's degree in art.
  6. My husband and I dated for seven years before getting married. We've been together for twelve. We were set up on a blind date by a couple we both knew. That couple has long since broken up.
  7. I love storms. They make me happy. I think gray days are beautiful.
  8. I have two tattoos. Bubo the owl is tattooed on my lower back, and my wedding ring is a tattoo. I drew both designs myself. Ironically, I spent most of my childhood deathly afraid of owls. When I was 4, I had a nightmare that a man was standing in my bedroom closet wearing a giant owl mask. I was terrified, and refused to even look at an owl until college. My grandma was rather disappointed, since I had loved owls up to then, and always walked around hooting. She was in the process of crocheting me an owl blanket. She had to stop when owls started making me cry and flee in terror.
I'm really going to break with tradition now, and not tag anyone. If you are reading this, and you blog. and you have yet to do this, then...

TAG, YOU'RE IT!!!!

5 comments:

yli said...

great job, anomie! your students are lucky -- they have a fun teacher!

carly said...

I also have a deathly fear of phones. There are very few people I will call on the phone and *not* feel nervous about (my husband and my parents is actually about the extent of it -- although the nervousness doesn't always prevent me from making the call). In an ill-fated attempt to get over it I worked as a telephone interviewer for a survey center (academic/gov't research). I thought having a script would help. It didn't. It was awful.

But, you know, you can order pizza online from pizza hut now. It's great.

Mike3550 said...

You have a BA in art? That's awesome! I graduated with a BA in Art History and Architecture and somehow found my way to sociology as well.

Anomie said...

yli: Thanks!!!

carly: See, and here I thought I had successfully downplayed my deathly fear, making it sound like a more reasonable aversion ;). I'll have to look into that Pizza Hut thing. Although I'm quite fond of Papa Murphy's, now.

Mike: Haha, small world. If you think about it though, art and sociology do have much in common...

Cabell said...

Throughout college, I made my then-boyfriend order every pizza that we consumed for exactly this reason.

I've actually gotten over it, though. Before I worked as a telephone interviewer, even (which I liked).